Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Song Remains the Same by Allison Winn Scotch


What The Song Remains The Same is about:
 One of only two survivors of a plane crash, Nell Slattery wakes up in the hospital with no memory of the crash - or who she is, or was. Now she must piece together both body and mind -- with the help of family and friends who have their own agendas. She filters through photos, art, music and stories, hoping something will jog her memory, and soon - in tiny bits and pieces - Nell starts remembering...It isn't long before she learns to question the stories presented by her mother, her sister and business partner, and her husband. In the end she will learn that forgiving betrayals small and large will be the only true path to healing herself -- and finding happiness.


I have pretty much loved everything that Allison has written and her newest book is no exception. I identified so much with Nell and embraced her as a woman. She is so vulnerable and even though she can't remember her mother and sister, she's allowed herself to be open to their version of how she "used" to be. One of the things that really struck me while reading this book was how often Nell doubted her "inner voice" and it made me sit back and take stock of how many times I have done the exact same thing. Nell comes through this tragedy with a much better understanding of who she is as a person and what she really wants out of life. There are plenty of bumps and deceptions along the way, but that is what makes this a stellar read. It felt real! I thought it was genius as to how music plays a vital role in Nell's self-exploration and how intricately linked our memories are to songs that we listened to during pivotal moments in our lives. I was sad to let Nell's story go, but I was so happy to see that Allison didn't make the ending the typical cliche' of a Happily Ever After.

Recommend? If you're looking for a compelling story about a woman who essentially has to start all over again and a character that you can really root for, then I highly recommend the newest release from Winn-Scotch. You will not be disappointed and if you're anything like me, it will leave you anxiously awaiting her next book!!


Source: Lydia @ G.P. Putnam's
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Pages: 320
Published:  April 12,  2012
*Uncorrected ARC

Disclaimer: Thank you to Lydia and G.P. Putnam for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel. 

Book Review #11
© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission. 


26 comments:

  1. Sounds like one that I'd enjoy as well -- great review Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you enjoyed this book. I loved Time of My Life, so I can't wait to read this one. There are times when I want the happy ending, but I enjoy when authors keep it real, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some issues with this book but I love AWS's writing style and can't wait to read more. I like how you personalized your review. That's the best thing about reading fiction - relating to characters. Great review, Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Allison's books too. Looking forward to reading this one. She just has a way of drawing me in to a story and keeping me firmly planted there. Nice review, Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staci, I've loved several books by this author, too, and I preordered it for Sparky, my Kindle. I think I'm getting it tomorrow. I can't wait!

    Thanks for your great review....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great plot! I've read a couple of other books with the amnesia theme and enjoyed them. This is on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmm... I am thinking I need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great, Staci! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I didn't realize music was so important in this story, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting...I have to be in the mood for an emotional tugger like this one. I will keep this in mind. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please tell me that she doesn't fall in love with the other survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love books about lost memories and music, so I'm drawn to this one. Yours is the first review I've seen of it, so I'm off to see if my library has it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read any of her books but I've been seeing positive reviews of this one. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Great review, Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't tried this author's work yet, but everyone seems to be crazy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not read this author but this book sounds like the place to start. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read anything by her but maybe I should one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so enthusiastic about this one; its infectious. I haven't read this author yet. Sad, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so enthusiastic about this one; its infectious. I haven't read this author yet. Sad, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have this one to read and will soon, after seeing your enthusiastic comments!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know I have one of her books around here somewhere - I just need to find it. And then find the time to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds lovely, I haven't read anything by this author yet but I have Time Of My Life on my kindle, have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've only heard great things about this author, but haven't read anything by her yet. Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad to see you loved this one as much as me. I figured you would. She's such a fantastic author. I've been a fan since I read her first book and I'll continue to be.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Clearly I've been extremely remiss in not having picked up any books by this author. I have a huge pile of books to take to Half-Price Books tomorrow; even though I won't be able to find this one, I'll definitely for Winn Scott's books!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how I can go to your blog and add a bunch of new books to my library list and TBR list :) I hadn't heard of this author before now but I'm definitely going to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nell sounds like a great character. Isn't it good when you have an author you can rely on to consistently write a good story?

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!