Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crooked House (audio) - Bookish Thoughts #20



What Crooked House is about:
In the sprawling, half-timbered mansion in the affluent suburb of Swinly Dean, Aristide Leonides lies dead from barbiturate poisoning. An accident? Not likely. In fact, suspicion has already fallen on his luscious widow, a cunning beauty fifty years his junior, set to inherit a sizeable fortune, and rumored to be carrying on with a strapping young tutor comfortably ensconced in the family estate. But criminologist Charles Hayward is casting his own doubts on the innocence of the entire Leonides brood. He knows them intimately. And he's certain that in a crooked house such as Three Gables, no one's on the level...

Why I wanted to read it: I'm on a huge Agatha Christie roll right now. I can't seem to stop myself!

Source: Public Library

  • Before I check out any AC's on audio I make sure that Hugh is the narrator. I absolutely love his voice and he really just does a phenomenal job! 
  • This is one story that I just couldn't get enough of! Normally, I hate driving ,but I couldn't wait to jump in my car so that I could get back to this riveting story.
  • I loved every single aspect of this audio book and if you can believe it or not...I figured out who the murderer was!! I still can't believe it but I did figure it out! 
  • This one has a bit of a creepy gothic feel...not only because of the crooked house but also because of some of the characters. 
Agatha Christie has a way of keeping the reader on their toes and leading them astray with just little tidbits that make the reader second guess their own intuition. I love her writing and her clever twists in her stories! This one will be a top favorite for me!

Bookish Thoughts #20
© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission. 


27 comments:

  1. I'm off to see if our library system has the audio....you convinced me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great endorsement! It's going on the audible list :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I mentioned this before but I did the same thing when I was first introduced to Agatha! She has a style that is very unique and it leaves you wanting more. I just requested this one from my library. I have a few in iTunes already, but it's always good to be prepared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to remember the storyline on this one. I feel certain that I've read it in years past. Hmmm...may have to see if my library has it in audio. Yes, Hugh Fraser is a good narrator. I also like the ones narrated by David Suchet, although it is funny to hear his British accent instead of always being Poirot. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on an Agatha Christie roll! I'm adding this to my audible.com wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to turn into Margot and read them all! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge Agatha fan and have read many of her books. I can't remember if I've read this one or not though so it would be on my list to re-read even if I have. I like that you say it's got a creepy gothic feel - those are the best! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this one, but it sounds great! Have to add this one to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one does sound good, Staci. I haven't listened to any audios, and since I don't do the commute thing anymore, I am not in the car long enough to start anything.

    But I'm planning to take some trips this summer...hopefully.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christie is probably really good on audio. I've only read a handful of her books. I know that's only a drop in the bucket when it comes to her work as she's written so many books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read a Christie in forever...this sounds like a great one!

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish my library had so many audios. Anything that people rave about they never have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love that you are so enthusiastic about these books...I may want to check these out at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this book years ago, but it's been a while. I'm really looking forward to my reread of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'd want to listen to Hugh tell this story too

    ReplyDelete
  16. I put a bunch of Agatha audios on my wishlist at the library because of you. Lol. I'm glad you're enjoying them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your enthusiasm is contagious! I may have to try an Agatha Christie on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have me wanting to pick up another book by Christie as well :) I love her mysteries...eventually I plan to read them all! I'm going to have to go check my library website and put one on hold. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a big Agatha Christie fan and I've not read this one yet. It's going on my list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are on a Christie kick! Go Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  21. between you and margot I'm feeling the need to jump into an Agatha Christie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't gotten to this one yet but now I can't wait. Right after I write this comment I'm going to go to my library's website and see which Agatha Christie books are on audio. It sounds like a great way to "read" one of her books. You know I'm taking a secret pleasure in your Agatha Addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the sound of this one! I've only read a couple of Agatha Christie books, but have yet to listen to one on audio. Just listened to a sample on Audible.com and love it! In the wish list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd read this just for Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a really good one. I don't think I've read Crooked House - have to put it on the list. Reading Secret Adversary now written in 1922!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You need to join the Agatha challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!