Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

'The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy' by Mary Lydon Simonsen

Genre: Jane Austen Variation
About the book (from Goodreads) :
Convinced that the lovely Elizabeth Bennet is her brother's soul mate, Georgiana Darcy enlists her clever and not at all snobbish cousin Anne de Bourgh in ensuring that pride and prejudice aren't able to keep these two hearts apart. All is going according to plan until Lydia Bennet brings scandal on the family by eloping with George Wickham, and Darcy is called away from Elizabeth's side before he has a chance to propose. It will take all Georgiana and Anne's considerable matchmaking talents to ensure that Elizabeth and Darcy are reunited in time to claim their happily ever after.

Why I wanted to read this book: I'm addicted to all things Jane Austen and I'm often fantasize of being Mrs. Darcy!
 
What worked for me:

  • I loved getting to know Anne de Bourgh and Georgiana better with this retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I often thought that if just given the chance Anne would stand up and speak her voice. They were both very clever in their manipulation of Darcy and making sure that he and Elizabeth would be in close proximity to one another.
  • My dislike for Caroline Bingley grew with each page...it's almost fun to hate her!! And I thought the author did a great job of making Wickham, a very bad boy!!
  • There were a few moments where I did find the retelling a bit slow. I think this may be because I'm so familiar with the story and at times the author didn't stray far from the original. But I feel that she did change it up a bit and really made the story fun and fresh.
  • Oh, I almost forgot about the great twist the author added to Jane's story...I really thought this was very, very clever and it totally worked for me! I'm being cryptic because I don't want to ruin your read!!
Recommend?  For those that love all things Austen, then this is a book that I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to read. It's charming and cute...nothing earth-shattering, but a good read that explores two characters that some of us would like to get to know in more depth. I think Mary Lydon Simonsen is a writer that will continue to deliver with her retellings of Austen's characters!

My Rating: 3.75/5

Author: Mary Lydon Simonsen
Pages: 384 (uncorrected ARC)
Genre: Austen Variation
ISBN: 9781402240256
 
Disclaimer:Thank you to Danielle of Sourcebooks for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel
  © 2010, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

16 comments:

  1. I really do need to read Pride and Prejudice. I love the BBC version of the story, but have never actual read the book. I also get tickled everything you review a retelling of the original because your passion for the story and characters comes through so completely. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveeeeeeeee this review!! This book sounds fun! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an entertaining novel, Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an amazing ability to ferret out these Jane Austen variations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excelletn review which mirrors my own thoughts. We are so alike Mrs. Darcy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grrrr Caroline *shakes fist* She is an evil /&%&%. Lol, but she does a great job at it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one as well and agree that I always thought Anne and Georgiana would have been more outspoken if given the chance. I really like the story line with Jane as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! We sure do love to hate Caroline and Wickham.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a little burnt out reading so many P&P variations a few years back, but this one sounds like a fun read -- and one that could end my exile from Austen-related books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your passion for the story too as well as a certain character. Every time I watch the movie I think of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the queen of all things Austen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My apologies for being late to the party, but thank you for your lovely review. I am so glad you liked my story, esp. Mr. Nesbitt, who is now one of my favorite original characters. :) Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have me very curious about this twist in the old story. You are going to make me read this. I've been thinking about a reread of P & P and this would be a good follow-up. It's going on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one does sound good but I have so many books to catch up on as it is. I am putting it on my wishlist though. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel bad because I've tried to like the spin-off Austen books, but have found that they are not really my cup of tea anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any Jane Austen books, not sure if it's my thing but you did a great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!