Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

'The Financial Lives of the Poets' by Jess Walter (TLC Tour Stop)

Genre:  Contemporary Fiction

About:(From TLC) The Financial Lives of the Poets is a comic and heartfelt novel from National Book Award nominee Jess Walter, author of Citizen Vince and The Zero, about how we get to the edge of ruin—and how we begin to make our way back. Walter tells the story of Matt Prior, who’s losing his job, his wife, his house, and his mind—until, all of a sudden, he discovers a way that he might just possibly be able to save it all . . . and have a pretty damn great time doing it.

Why I wanted to read this book:

  • I thought the premise sounded interesting and that this would be a read outside of my comfort zone.

What worked for me:
  • I immediately...and I mean immediately liked Matthew Prior. For me that was the clincher. I felt a connection to Matt. I could  understand him because we're about the same age, we are both trying to survive during these hard financial times, have experienced emotional distance in our marriages , our parents are getting older, the stress level is getting higher, and are just trying to cling to that last vestige of sanity!!
  • In a very crazy way, I say this because I'm hard-pressed to explain it, I thought the author's voice came across as authentic and real. I could imagine someone acting in a similar manner as Matt when faced with some of the curve balls that life pitched to him.
  • I laughed, commiserated, and totally "got" Matt. So many people are in dire financial straits right now and the author wrote the story in such a manner that I think many people can identify with. There were a few "aha" moments within the pages too.
  • I really enjoyed Matt's relationship with his dad who suffered from Alzheimer's. He resigned himself to the fact that his dad was stuck in the past. He just tried to enjoy him on a daily basis, even though he needed him for advice. He needed his dad for support. Matt had no one to really turn to and therefore, he made some bad judgment calls. Thankfully, he learned from them!
What didn't work for me:
  • I had to buy into the concept of a guy, who was making good money, who decides to give up financial security in order to start a website that gives financial advice in poetry form. That was a bit far-fetched, but in order to really immerse myself into this book I pushed that away and moved on.
Recommend? Now this is the hardest part of my review because this wasn't a read that I could gush on and on about, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Because I did...I read this in one setting and when I was done I was completely satisfied with the story. So I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you to give it a try! What do you have to lose but a few hours??? And you may end up like me...loving this one just because!

My Rating: 4.5/5


Thank you to TLC Book Tours. for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review.
My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.
They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.





About Jess Walter

Jess Walter is the author of five novels, including The Zero, a finalist for the 2006 National Book Award, and Citizen Vince, winner of the 2005 Edgar Allan Poe Award for best novel. He has been a finalist for the L.A. Times Book Prize and the PEN USA Literary Prize in both fiction and nonfiction. His books have been New York Times, Washington Post, and NPR best books of the year and have been translated into twenty languages. He lives in Spokane, Washington. Vist Jess Walter at his website, www.jesswalter.com.

Please visit the other tour stops HERE!


© 2010, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission. 

Review Style patterned after Show Me 5 

27 comments:

  1. wowwwwwwwwwwwww this sounds really interesting!! Thanks for always giving straight forward reviews! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your review, Staci. It's very clear and well organized. The book sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. I have posted a link to a giveaway for this book on the right side of my blog if anyone's interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like it must have been pretty good to read it all in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an intriguing book, may have to give it a try. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story of coming back from ruin and living a different life instead of going back to the old one. Ask me... I sort of did the same thing, on a smaller scale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Staci, this sounds like a good one. I would have never considered reading this one previously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to see an increasing number of books about people with a parent with Alzheimer's. I guess it's something either that's increasing or that we're more open about now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title of this book kind of turns me off, but I got a copy at SIBA because Heather of Raging Bibliomania raved over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that you enjoyed this one. It is always nice when we can relate to the character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Kathy. The title sort of turns me off but I love the cover design.

    I've been offered this book a few times but each time I've turned it down. Not sure why exactly because everyone has said really good things about it. I guess I am just weird or just can't seem to fit it into my already ridiculous reading schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, such high marks for this one. I must say I'm surprised. But at least you were able to put aside the part that was 'unbelievable' to you. Great review Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So it's kind of those books you liked, but would you recommend it, that is another question. But who knows perhaps I would love it too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I skimmed your review because I'm in the middle of this book right now. I'm not normally a fan of books with a lot of profanity, but this one has been holding my attention well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book keeps popping up in my face - guess that means I need to read it soon. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a great book, Staci. I'm going to watch out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read some of the other reviews on this book but I haven't been interested. Now you are telling me this is a 4.5/5 and you read it in one sitting. Wow. Must be something there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this one on my shelves and now I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, a one-sitting read?! I'm so glad you identified with Matt - he is a realistic but still unique character. Thanks for being a part of the tour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great review on this book. I know you told me about it and I would like to read it. It doesn't seem like something I would pick out, but I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun review, Staci. I'll put it on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just came back to read the rest of your review since I finished the book on Friday. The second half of the book sped right by and there were some parts where I couldn't help laughing out loud. The part with the watch where he's going around talking to all of the people he has it in for was just hilarious. It definitely was out of my comfort zone (because it's not like I would condone some of the things he did), but much better than I expected too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved your review, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting it to be about but I'll keep an eye out for it. Like you, Matt sounds like a character I could identify with :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I already know I want to read this, I enjoyed your take on it! It's good to hear that the protagonist is so likable. And if the idea of him chucking it all to do a financial poetry website is farfetched - it just intrigues me more and makes me think this book has it's light and humorous moments.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This definitely sounds like an offbeat novel I would really enjoy reading -- thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll second your recommendation! The title will scare people off but it's just so much fun for a book that has so many depressing things happening in it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. If judged on the title alone, I would probably pass by this book without a second glance, but after reading several reviews of it, it definitely sounds like it's worth reading. An instant connection with the main character is a definite bonus--and would seal the deal for me on whether I would enjoy a book or not. I am glad you liked Matthew so much!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!