Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Library Loot- March 11


Library Loot hosted by Eva and Alessandra
asks us to list what we brought home from
the library this week.








** So last week I was asking for suckers and high-fives because I was so good and not getting more books than I could possibly read. Well, this week I'm due for a good smackdown!! I'm out of control and I honestly don't know how to stop!! So without further ado is the loot that I dragged home with me this week!!!

The Cellist of Sarajevo
by Steven Gallowy

** I can blame this book on Wendy from Musings of a Bookish Kitty. If she hadn't wrote such a heartfelt review I could've just went on my merry way and never would have known this book existed.




The Story of Forgetting
by Stefan merrill Block

**Lenore from Presenting Lenore left me a comment on my review of Still Alice and she suggested this title....so I will blame her for bringing this little gem home!






Dope Sick by Walter Dean Myers

** I blame myself entirely for this one. I love WDM and this is his new release so I had to get it....plus, a student at school has been dying to read this so I told him I would share!! Wait, I can blame Bobby can't I?






The Handmaid's Tale
by Margaret Atwood

** For some reason I feel like I can blame Nymeth for this one but I could be crazy!! Honestly, I feel that my reading life would not be complete without reading this book.





The Queen's Handmaiden
by Jennifer Ashley

** First off, I didn't realize until I put this post together that I have two books with 'Handmaiden' in the title..weird. No one but myself is to blame for this me. That and my weakness for awesome covers!!!




The Gathering
by Anne Enright

** another one I blame myself for...I liked the cover and the description of the book...all about an Irish family and a secret...made me pick it up and then I read Anna's review at Diary of an Eccentric and felt a little sad about my choice. But I am going to give it a go but if I don't like it...no guilt. I will move on!!



Stuck in the Middle
edited by Ariel Schrag

** I can blame this one on a magazine!! Booklists' current issue featured Graphic Novels and they absolutely recommended this one. It looks like a lot of fun..17 different comics from 17 different comics from 16 talented artists all about those years in middle school!! Can't wait.




Emma- Manga Volumes 1-4
by Kaoru Mori

**The blame goes to Nymeth for these books. I love her reviews and she makes everything sound so great that I feel like I'm missing out on something big if I don't at least try it. So, again, I am stepping outside of my comfort zone and going to read a Manga for the very first time!! You can read her review here and then you too will feel the urgent need to check these out!



So, there's the wrap up for this week's library loot. I truly feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew!!

To Read List Total today 3/3/09 : 620
Last week's To Read List Total 2/25/2009: 562
Books Read in 2009 to date: 26

16 comments:

  1. I did review The Handmaid's Tale, but it was a while ago..last August if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, it's an AMAZING book and I hope you love it as much as I did. And Emma! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Handmaid's Tale is great. Scary, but great. Thanks for linking to my review of The Gathering, which is from when I really started getting serious about book blogging. I've heard a lot of people liked it, and I hope you enjoy it. I just didn't like the main character at all. I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness gracious! You sure did bring a lot of loot home. You picked great choices though.

    I've been seeing the "Emma" book all over the place. Let me know how you like it. I'm kind of trying to read manga... but really don't know where to start.

    Happy reading! (It is bound to be with these great choices on your shelf!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always biting off more than I can chew at the library...and it makes me so utterly sad to have to return books unread. Still, I just can't learn. *sigh*

    I'd never heard of Stuck in the Middle...can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have got to get me one of those graphic novel things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post! and your blog....and the numbers of books to read at the bottom of your posts!! And the reasons you get the books you do.....I've bookmarked you now, so I'll be back. I can't wait for your review of Emma, either! or the cellist of Sarajevo, which I've heard about but not read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that is a load you brought home Staci. lol. I read The Handmaid's Tale before I had my blog and liked it. I think you will too. Happy Reading and good luck getting through that pile. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Cellist of Sarajevo is definitely game for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad your library had a copy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's a lot of books! I thought I was the only person who borrowed that many in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are right about The Handmaid's Tale - it is a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't help but laugh as I'm starting to think that we are kindred spirits. I just picked up a bunch from the library too and haven't a clue how I will read them all. I enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale and am planning on reading more by this author. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on these :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are some great books! I've never read The Handmaids Tale either and have heard so much about it. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have The Cellist of Sarajevo on my wishlist too. And I hope you enjoy Emma when you get to it. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume soon.
    BTW, I replied to the question in your comment over on my blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And can I blame you for my next trip? Please let me know when you review the Myers book. I checked out Stuck In the Middle but returned it before reading it because I had so many books out at the time. Loved the Handmaid's Tale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty covers do great job on me as well.. No wonder you didn't realize you've picked books that have the same title! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!